#OBSCURELEGALFACTS BY AROME ABU
In Nigeria, it is an offence to subject a widow to any of the following:
1. Stripping widow naked;
2. Forcing widow to take any concoction;
3. Forcing widow to wear leaves;
4. Forcing widow to wear black clothing;
5. Confinement to the house;
6. Forcing widow to marry any husband’s relative;
7. Denial of inheritance;
8. Sleeping with husband’s corpse overnight;
9. Drinking of water collected after bathing the corpse. ETC
Imprisonment for 2 years or fine of N500,000.
See section 15 and 46 of the Violence Against Persons Prohibition Act.
Arome Abu is the Managing Partner of TCLP.
CAVEAT: Note that this information is provided for general enlightenment purposes and is not intended to be any form of legal advice.
Obscure Legal Facts is an exclusive daily publication of THE COUNSEL L-P.
H.3 16A POW MAFEMI CRESCENT, Utako, Abuja, Fct
+234 803 262 2359
+234 708 1156 539.