The Ondo State Government has constituted an account allocation committee to implement autonomy for the legislature and the judiciary in the state.
This is contained in a statement dated 2nd January, 2022 made available to TheNigeriaLawyer signed by the Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice of Ondo State, Sir Charles Titiloye.
According to Charles, the committee is composed of Chief Registrar of the Ondo State High Court, Commissioners for Finance and Budget and Economic Planning of the state, Secretary of the Ondo State Judicial Service Commission and some members of the Ondo State House of Assembly amongst others.
The statement reads in part, “GOVERNOR OF ONDO STATE, ARAKUNRIN OLUWAROTIMI AKEREDOLU SAN CONSTITUTES ONDO STATE ACCOUNT ALLOCATION COMMITTEE (SAAC.) TO IMPLEMENT FINANCIAL AUTONOMY FOR THE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY AND THE JUDICIARY.
“In line with section 121 (3) (a & b) of the Constitution of Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as Amended) giving Financial autonomy to the Legislative and Judicial Arm of Government in the state and in accordance with section 14(1) of Ondo State Legislative Fund Management Law 2021, the Governor of Ondo State, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu SAN on the 31st day of December, 2021, constituted Ondo State Account Allocation Committee (SAAC) comprising of the following statutory representatives of the three arms of Government in the state:
1. Hon. Commissioner for Finance — Member.
2. Hon. Commissioner for Budget and Economic planning. — Member.
3. Hon. Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice. — Member
4. Chief Registrar of Ondo State High Court. — Member.
5. Chief Registrar of Ondo State Customary Court of Appeal. — Member.
6. Secretary, Ondo State Judicial Service Commission– Member.
7. Hon. Jamiu Sulaiman Maito, Member representing Ondo State House of Assembly — Member.
8. Hon. Olamide Olajide Adesanmi, Member representing Ondo state House of Assembly — Member.
9. Clerk, Ondo State House of Assembly — Member.
“The Accountant General of the state is the Secretary of the Committee.”
The statement explains that the duty of the Committee shall be to ensure that provisions of the Nigerian Constitution that provide for judicial and legislative independence are complied with.
“The State Account Allocation Committee (SAAC) is to ensure compliance with section 121 (3) (a & b) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as Amended) to the effect that the amounts standing to the credit of:
(a) Ondo State House of Assembly,
(b) Ondo State Judiciary,
in the consolidated revenue fund of the state are promptly allocated and paid to the bodies in the House of Assembly and in case of the Judiciary, directly to the heads of the Courts concerned towards the implementation of 2022 budget.” the statement further reads.
[DOWNLOAD] Lawyer Develops App To Ease Real Estate Transactions